Cyprus Time is GMT +2.
Daylight Saving Time
Every year on the last Sunday of March at 1.00am Greenwich time (3.00am local time ) Daylight saving time comes into effect and clocks are advanced by one hour). On the last Sunday in October at 1.00am Greenwich time (3.00am local time ) Cyprus reverts to Standard Time.
Public service working hours during the period September 1st – June 30th are 07:30 – 14:30 from Monday to Friday and on Wednesday from 15:00 – 18:00. During the period July 1st – August 31st working hours are 07:30 – 14:30 from Monday to Friday.
Banking hours for the public are:
- May to September : Monday to Friday 08:15-13:30
- October to April: Monday to Friday 08:15-13:30 and Monday 15:15-16:45
Banks are closed at weekends, public holidays and Easter Tuesday. Christmas Eve is a working day for banks.
Banks at Larnaka International Airport provide exchange bureaux service on a 24hour basis. Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are located outside most bank branches in all towns and main tourist resorts.
Shop opening times vary depending on their type and location. In most of the tourist areas, both souvenir shops and supermarkets remain open until late in the evenings and all day Sunday. In towns shops may remain open up to 19.30 hrs during the winter period (November- March) and up to 20:30hrs during the summer period (April –October). During the summer period shops in towns close for a summer afternoon break usually between 14:00 and 17:00hrs. On Sundays shops in towns are closed and on Wednesdays they close at 14:00hrs. Just before Christmas shops usually remain open every day until late in the evening.
Breakfast is usually served between 07:00 and 10:00 in the morning. Lunch is served in restaurants between 12:00 and 15:00. Dinner is served from 19:00 till late in the evening.
The days listed below are public holidays in Cyprus..
- January 1st - New Year's Day
- January 6th - Epiphany Day
- Green Monday (varies from year to year -50 Days before Greek Orthodox Easter)
- March 25th - Greek National Day
- April 1st - National Anniversary Day
- Good Friday (Greek Orthodox Church) varies from year to year -13/4/2012
- Easter (Greek Orthodox Church) varies from year to year-15/4/2012
- Easter Monday (Greek Orthodox Church)varies from year to year 16/4/2012
- May 1st - Labour Day
- Monday of Pentecost - Kataklysmos (Festival of the Flood) varies from year to year 4/6/2012
- August 15th - Assumption of the Virgin Mary
- October 1st - Cyprus Independence Day
- October 28th - Greek National Anniversary Day
- December 24th - Christmas Eve
- December 25th - Christmas Day
- December 26th - Boxing Day