Location: Above the old village of Kakopetria on the banks of the Karkotis River
Founded: It is the sole remnant of an old monastery founded in the 11th century that flourished in the mid-Byzantine period and during Frankish rule but fell into decline in the 18th century, eventually dissolving.
Architecture: It belongs to the domed cross-in square plan and gets its name from the second timber roof with flat tiles that were made in the Soleas district. The narthex, covered by a calotte and two traverse arches, was added at the beginning of the 12th century. At a later stage the church's original appearance was altered resulting in the destruction of important paintings.
period too. The arch and east and south vaults were also decorated during this period and are today exhibited in the Byzantine Museum of the Archbishop Makarios the III Foundation in Nicosia.
5. Only the full length Apostles Peter and Paul that adorn the piers that support the dome near the iconostasis, also attributed to the 17th century, have a date inscribed on them -1633.
Marina Solomidou - Ieronymidou